Security software provider LastPass has published their third Annual Global Password Security Report which reveals the extent of password reuse.
LastPass has analysed the anonymised data and usage patterns of their enterprise password vault used by 47,000 organisations around the world.
Some key data points from the report:
- For Businesses under 25 employees the average number of passwords per user is: 85
- For Larger Businesses with 1001 – 10,000 employees the average number of passwords per user is: 25
- Employees re-use the same password on different systems an average of 13 times.
- 80% of breaches are linked to password re-use, brute forcing or theft
- 57% of businesses globally are using Multi-Factor Authentication
The report recommends Security Awareness Training to help your team improve their password hygiene and, not surprisingly, the deployment of a Password Manager to make it easier for staff to use strong and unique passwords on every system.